Custom 6×6 SCX10By Axial on Nov 11, 2010
Here’s a little sneak peek at a project I have been working on in my spare time. I have always wanted to build a custom 6×6, but never really had the time. Recently I decided I was going to make time to get this project going. It is still a build in progress at this point, but it is drivable now. I have run a few battery packs through it so far so I can tune the suspension. I am at the point now where it is working pretty good, I just need to finish a few details. I want to make inner fender wells, add rock rails, waterproof the electronics, finish the cage work, add some scale details and maybe redo the stock Honcho bed in styrene.
Here is what the overall stance looks like now with the new Pro-line 2.2 Super Swamper SX’s installed. I love the looks of these new tires, and the G8 compound ensures they will work great in all conditions.
A few detailed shots of the body and suspension.
Here you can see that I linked the rear axle off the center axle, then installed a custom panhard bar to eliminate axle steer.
The extended Honcho body, which is still a work in progress.
I made a custom battery box out of .060 styrene to hold/conceal the MaxAmps 5250 3s lipo battery.
I installed a sway bar on the center axle to help eliminate torque twist.
The custom panhard bar and frame bracket that keep the rear axle in line.
A couple different views of the rear link set-up.
6×6 parts list:
Links and Spacers:
• (1) AX30518 98mm grey links (lower links from chassis to 2nd axle)
• (1) AX30524 91mm grey links (lower links from 2nd to 3rd axle)
• (1) AXA1430 65mm grey links (upper links from chassis to 2nd axle)
• (1) AX30516 106mm grey links (upper links from 2nd to 3rd axle)
• (1) AX30519 101×30* grey HC links (panhard bar cut to fit)
• (1) AXA1431 70mm grey links (chassis brace where the two frames meet)
• (2) AXA1421 20mm grey links (sway bar and 4 link spacer on center axle)
• (1) AXA1418 6mm grey spacers
• (1) AXA1416 4mm grey spacers
• (1) AXA1414 2mm grey spacers
• (3) AX8098 Chrome 2.2 beadlock wheels
• (3) 1166-14 2.2 Pro-Line Super Swamper SX tires
• (1) AX30380 Steel driveshaft yokes
• (2) AX80011 Plastic driveshafts
• (2) AX80043 4 link truss parts tree
• (1) AX30090 Aluminum SCX10 shocks
• (2) AX80003 Axle housings
• (1) AX80020 Plastic lockouts (AX30494 for aluminum lockouts)
• (1) AX30421 Straight axles
• (2) AX30392 Ring and pinion set (AX30395 for HD steel ring and pinions)
• (3) AX30429 Aluminum drive hex pack (2.2 wheels, 1.9 wheel hex AX30427)
• (1) AX30163 2x10mm drive pin
• (1)AX30405 Pinion gear shaft
• (1)AXA1393 E-clip
• (1) AXA180 M3 set screws
• (1) AX30163 Drive pins
• (1) AX30500 HD lockers
• (1) AX80002 Plastic differential case
• (1) AX30385 Differential gasket
• (1) AXA015 Screws for differential case
• (2) AXA1221 5×11 bearings
• (1) AXA1230 10×15 bearings
• (1) AX30525 SCX10 Frame set
That should cover the parts I used on this particular build, but it is possible that I am missing a small detail or two. You will need a fair amount of M3x.5 screws in various lengths, as well as an assortment of rod ends, some basic hand tools to fab the panhard bar bracket and the braces I made to tie the two frames together. You will also need some patience. There will be some trial and error involved if people want to replicate this build even with the parts list I supplied. It’s just a fact of life when it comes to building one off custom rigs. The best advice I can give is take your time, and do it right the first time. You will be a lot happier in the long run.
EXO Terra Buggy
KING OF THE HAMMERS
New To R/C?
RC MONSTER TRUCKS